2016: The Year of the Car
Welcome to 2016, race fans! One of my resolutions for this year is to spend more time on this blog again. I got so far behind in 2015 that you haven’t even heard about how I got tased by Formula 1 driver Valtteri Bottas. Or all the interesting car-related observations I made in Southeast Asia. Time to get caught up!
In addition to 2015 catch-up, here are some things to look out for in 2016:
- Cars and Coffee – the 2016 dates are out, and I am going to try to make all of the shows, camera in hand.
- Pirelli World Challenge – the sports car racing series is coming to Circuit of the Americas March 4-6. Expect lots of photos of racing Aston Martins, Bentleys, Ferraris, Maseratis, McLarens, etc.
- MotoGP – the event that always tempts me to get a motorcycle license. Must resist that, but I’ll be at COTA for the race!
- Detroit Auto Show – one of my favorite events of the year. Not sure if I will be able to make it, but I haven’t ruled it out. Nothing like Detroit in January!
- Indy 500 – this year is the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500. Additionally, it will feature the first all-female team to race a car at the 500. (I talked about that here.) I thought long and hard about trying to go to this, but I think I’ll throw a watch party instead. Mark your calendars for May 29!
- Lone Star Le Mans and Formula 1 – the events at COTA that give life meaning.
- New car – I’m intending to get a new car in 2016, something a little bigger and more “grown-up.” Don’t worry, the Red Mini isn’t going anywhere, especially since Valtteri Bottas autographed the dashboard – oh yeah, that’s another story I have to tell you! I’ll keep her for taking to the track and to ensure I always have an increasingly-hard-to-find manual-transmission car.
- International travel – more globe-trotting in the works for 2016. Details to be announced!
- Evolving mobility – expect to see more alternative transportation options available in the coming year, from new ride-sharing programs to semi-autonomous vehicles. Unsurprisingly, I have opinions, and I’ll be sharing them.
It’s going to be a full year. Looking forward to sharing it with you!